Find Local Carpet Installation Experts & Get Free Price Quotes. No Obligations & No Credit Card Needed.Find Local Pros >>
All Carpet Articles
Mohawk Carpet Installation & Replacement Prices
Mohawk got its start in 1848, when four brothers bought 14 second-hand looms and set up a carpet-making business in Amsterdam, New York. The company's product was an instant success.
Today, Mohawk is one of the largest carpet manufacturers in the United States. Following a series of acquisitions in the 1990s, the company now owns a long list of prestigious carpet brands.
About Mohawk Carpet
Mohawk offers thousands of colors, styles, and textures. The company makes carpet to suit a variety of purposes, tastes, and budgets. Products are sold everywhere from major retailers to specialty shops across the country.
Mohawk is also known for its eco-friendly products, including:
- EverStrand carpet made from recycled plastic bottles.
- SmartStrand with Dupont Sorona, a stain-resistant carpet made from natural resources.
All Mohawk carpets come with warranties - some as long as 20 years. For a complete breakdown of the warranties offered on various Mohawk carpets, click here. Extended warranties are offered to customers who purchase both Mohawk carpet and the company's SmartCushion padding.
Mohawk Carpet Average Costs
Most Mohawk carpet costs anywhere from $10 to $15 per square yard. However, basic varieties sell for less and luxury carpet can top $25 per square yard.
In addition, budget an extra $5 to $10 per square yard for padding and installation. Geography has a lot to do with whether you'll pay on the high or low end of that price range. Installation costs tend to be much higher in major metropolitan areas and along the east and west coasts.
Other charges you should anticipate include:
- Old carpet removal and haul way: $.50 to $3 per square yard
- Furniture moving fees: $1 to $2 per square yard or around $25-$50 per hour
- Tack strips for new construction: $.25 to $1 per foot
- Installation on stairs: $4 to $6 per square yard
- Berber installation: Add $1 to $2 per square yard
Choosing Mohawk Carpet
Before you start shopping, it helps to do some preplanning. Armed with the right information, a dealer can help you select the best carpet for your needs. Ask yourself:
- How much am I willing to spend?
- What colors, designs and textures do I like?
- What is the estimated square footage to be carpeted?
- Are any of the rooms also high-traffic areas?
- Which features and qualities are most important? Would I rather have nearly stain-proof carpet or carpet that's eco-friendly?
Once you have a better idea of what you need, shop multiple dealers to get the best price. Ask for quotes - in writing. But don't choose on price alone. Make sure the dealer you select has an established history in the business and a solid track record.